How To Recover A Hacked AOL Account?
AOL provides some of the best software’s and applications. These programs don’t just come loaded with features, it is also ensured that they have proper security and privacy settings as well. But it also has to be considered that no matter how good the security features in an application are, it’s always possible that it will get hacked. After all, there are always people with malicious intentions who will find a way to bypass any firewall or security features. If you find your account compromised then there are some steps you can take to recover it and secure yourself. But before that, you need to be able to accurately recognize if your account has indeed been hacked.
How to recognize if your account has been hacked?
- Your account can be hacked if you fail to receive any form of mail.
- Check to see if any mails are being sent from your account to unknown ids or even to some or any of your contacts.
- A major sign of a hacked account is if you find yourself being logged out of the account automatically even if you have logged in. It’s especially suspicious if it keeps on happening again and again.
- Your account can be hacked if you login to your account only to see several other logins on your home activity page from a variety of unexpected or far-fetched locations.
- If you check your mail settings only to find them changed without remembering doing so or giving anyone permission to do so.
What to do if you find your account hacked?
The first step is always to change the existing password into something different and more complicated than the one before. Here’s how you can do it:
- Head over to the security page of AOL.
- Once there, click on the Change Password option.
- After that type in the new password you want to use. Make sure that you use sufficient symbols and alphanumeric to complicate it. Also make sure that no one has the password apart from you.
- Once you do the above, click on the Continue option. Your account will now be accessible using this new password only.
- If you find the account settings changed as well then change them back to your preferences.
How to improve the security of your account?
- If you want additional security after the hacking episode then install a reliable, trusted and well-reviewed antivirus.
- Apart from the antivirus installation, you can also choose to use something called the two-part verification. This will bolster your account security even more. You can also make sure that the verification process needs a code to give access to your account.
- If you have to frequently login from different browsers or devices then you can also opt to use something like an auto-displayed or generated code. This along with your password will add another layer of security.
But if none of these measures stop your account from being hacked again and again, then call customer service of AOL. If you are an AOL member then you don’t even have to hold or wait for your time to talk about your problems. You will get a direct line to the specialist who will help you. They will help you figure out how you can secure your account but it generally you will have to abandon the old account and create a new one.